Thursday, February 23, 2012

Giving up meat for Lent.... a year later

Lent is earlier this year, than last year. I believe my post last year was March 21, so it has not technically been a full year.

So, here I am a year later and I am still not eating meat. I had a brief time in December where I did have a little, but I really was finding that I was having a hard time even making myself eat it and that my default was to not.

I don't miss it. In fact it kind of yucks me out a little now, depending on what it is. I do still occasionally eat fish, sushi is one thing I am not giving up and also fish and chips. Sorry. Also, if I am presented with the opportunity to have french fries with brown gravy, I am not guaranteeing that I will not have to have them.

It is interesting at my house, now. Hubby is not eating meat at home and neither is the big boy. I will make chicken nuggets for the little guy, because he is picky and I don t want him to starve. Yes, I know, if he is hungry enough he'll eat and I do make him try new things, but I can't take away his chicken nuggets. Big boy did make an attempt to give up meat completely for his own reasons and found that it is difficult and that there are often not a lot of choices without meat in the school cafeteria and so on. I'm curious to see where this is going with him.

So, a year later, I am happy with the decision and not feeling deprived. I am also getting to be a little more vocal about not eating meat, as well. After a year, I feel I've earned the right to discuss it now and not feel like a silly teenager indulging in a silly fad.

No comments:

Post a Comment