Saturday, July 10, 2010

Book #12

Deja Dead - Kathy Reichs

This is Kathy Reichs, creator of the Bones TV series. For the record, the books have been around a lot longer than the TV show. Also, the show pretty much sucks compared to the books. I watched one or two episodes when it first came on and hated it!! I've since given it a second try and it is okay for what it is. If I completely file away the books in my brain and focus on the show as if the books don't exist, it's pretty good in fact.

This is a re-read for me, but some times a great re-read is like comfort food for me.

This is another forensic anthropology book. Kathy Reichs is a board certified forensic anthropologist, so her books, like Jefferson Bass are realistic and well researched. I have read all of her books, actually own all of her books in hard back. I don't collect a lot of novels, but I do like her so much that I have them all. I have pretty much re-read most of them, so it is a worthy investment. I won't keep a hard back novel unless I intend to re-read at some point.

Now, other books, especially crafts, sewing, knitting, quilting, or cookbooks, I am a lost cause, I love them and will hoard them to excess.

All her books are split between Charlotte, North Caroline and Montreal, Quebec. This alone appeals to me as a Canadian Ex-pat living in the southern US. I like to see her perspective as an American in the cross over of culture. In her real life she really does split her time between Canada and the States, so what she describes is very true to life in my world, just from the other side of that Ex-pat coin.

This book focuses on the hunt to track down a serial killer in Montreal. Quite graphic and gory, so not for the faint at heart. If you spook easily reading these types of books, it's gonna creep you out. In hind sight, even having read it before, this was not the best of choice for me to read right at the moment given my current circumstances. But, I still read it didn't I. I actually read it while in the midst of reading another non-fiction book as well. I can't gobble non-fiction at the same rate as fiction for some reason.

High praise and recommendations for Kathy Reichs. note: Read her books in the order they were published or you will be missing out on some key subtleties.

No comments:

Post a Comment